Mon, Feb 13|
Ibis Country Club - Main Ballroom
Jeannie Opdyke Smith
Jeannie Smith shares the poignant story of how her mother, Irene Gut Opdyke, risked her life for years to save the lives of Jews in the home of a Nazi officer.
DATE & TIME:
Feb 13, 7:00 PM
Ibis Country Club - Main Ballroom, 8225 Ibis Blvd, West Palm Beach, FL 33412, USA
ABOUT THE EVENT:
Jeannie Smith preserves the legacy of her mother, Irene Gut Opdyke, as she recounts how Irene risked her life for years. Under the most harrowing of circumstances, she was able to save the lives of Jews in the home of a Nazi officer.
- The Israeli Holocaust Commission named Irene a Righteous among the Nations; a title given to those who risked their lives by hiding and saving Jews during the Holocaust. She was presented with the Israel Medal of Honor, Israel’s highest tribute, at Yad Vashem in Jerusalem.
- A special commendation was given to Irene by the Vatican. Irene's story is part of a permanent exhibit in the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington D.C.
- In 2008 Irene was posthumously awarded the Commanders Cross* – the Polish medal of honor.
- In 2009 Irene posthumously received the Courage to Care Award* by the Anti-Defamation League.
- Irene's life story was made into a Broadway show, "Irene's Vow" in 2009 based on her memoir, In My Hands - Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer.
* Both of these awards were accepted by Irene’s only child – Jeannie Smith.
"My mom's passion was reaching others with the message, We are all connected and part of one human family, we are our brother's keeper." Nowhere in time is this message more important to share. Her voice is still being heard! "Stand up against hate in all forms - be willing to step up - speak out and become actively involved. Give out love, compassion, and human decency to all." - Jeannie Smith
Jeannie Smith speaks internationally to organizations about her mother's unforgettable story.
What people are saying about Jeannie Smith's poignant talk about her courageous mother...
Thank you does not seem adequate. I have NEVER been so inspired in all my life, Thank you for sharing your mother's incredible story. Honestly if I didn't hear it I would have never believed something so tragic and wonderful at the same time could be true. I thank your mother for believing and I thank you for telling her story. It is necessary, important and no one could tell it as good as you. You were truly amazing. Your mother would be so proud of the remarkable woman you are. Thank you! thank you! -Sheryl Cohen
SEATING is open for regular admission tickets and reserved for sponsors.
CLICK HERE for SPONSORSHIP registration. All sponsorships include 2 or more reserved seats.
TICKETS: $25 per ticket for inSIGHT Members | $30 per ticket for non-members
*limit of 2 member tickets per household
NOTE: Faculty and students from all Palm Beach County Schools will be admitted free at the door with ID.
If you are not a current member, or your annual membership has expired, please click here to JOIN or RENEW. If you are not sure of your membership status, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
DOORS open at 6:30 PM and the program will start promptly at 7:00 PM. Please plan accordingly.
PAYMENT METHODS: CREDIT CARD OR CHECK/OFFLINE
inSIGHT Member Ticket
inSIGHT Member tickets are limited to 2 per household
FRIEND EVENT SPONSORSHIP - $100 2 reserved seats • Name(s) listed in the event program
HERO EVENT SPONSORSHIP - $250 2 reserved seats • Personal message or quarter-page ad in the program • Names(s) or business logo on screen & event signage
LUMINARY EVENT SPONSORSHIP - $500 4 reserved seats • Personal message or half-page ad in the program Names(s) or business logo on screen & event signage
PBC Student and Faculty Ticket
Complimentary ticket for Palm Beach County Students and Faculty only.
Complimentary ticket for Holocaust Survivor and a companion